Benefits of Changing Your Name after Marriage

Benefits of Changing Your Name after Marriage

It won’t be long before you will be asked to take your husband’s maiden name. It is likely that at some point you have contemplated the roots of our culture and traditions, whether or not you knew it.

I would say that if you take your husband’s name, you are legally obliged to do so, but it is a decision that is entirely up to you.

In case you are interested, I would like to start with the benefits.

We have listed a few reasons why you may want to consider changing your name when you move to India

  • The custom in society is for women to take the name of their husband as their own. As soon as you add your husband’s name to your own, you will no longer be required to answer questions from your family and neighbors.
  • As a number of Indian parents adhere to traditional customs and traditions, you might not have a lot to explain to your in-laws due to their traditional outlook.
  • In our country, customs are so deeply ingrained in government processes that even government officials expect you to use your husband’s name when addressing them.
  • The process is much simpler this way. The surname of your husband simplifies paperwork, making it easier for you to apply for visas, passports, joint accounts, and properties.
  • This is the start of a new life together.
  • They’ll see more of your last name as time passes. Kids in the subcontinent follow their fathers’ footsteps. You can help alleviate an identity crisis by changing your child’s surname.
  • The change of names makes women feel like they have entered a new phase in their lives.

Find out how to change your name after marriage in India.

  1. You must obtain a joint affidavit and a marriage declaration in order to change your name. Your husband’s name may also be added. You must provide the following information in order to change your name after marriage.
    1. The current name and address of your father.
    2. The name and address of your husband.
    3. The date of your wedding.
  2. An affidavit on 10 stamp paper. Signed by both parties.
  3. Include both parties’ passport photos.
  4. Notarize the affidavit.
  5. Advertise the name change in two local newspapers. Consult the newspaper agency.
  6. Make sure the Gazette is notified of your name change.
  7. An acknowledgement will arrive within 15-30 days.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *