Documents Required for Gender Changing

Documents Required for Gender Changing


Section: What is the Gender Marker Change Process?

Section: How can I change my passport and other documents with only one doctor’s note?

Takeaway: If you have had gender transition surgery, you could use a single medical note to update your passport and other identification documents with only one doctor’s signature. If not, you may need two medical signatures for name change updates to your legal documents such as driver’s license, birth certificate and more.

Why go through the gender change process?

If you are a transgender person, there are many reasons for changing your gender marker on your birth certificate. This can help to ensure that you have access to all the rights and privileges of being recognized as the gender with which you identify.

  • Changing the gender marker on your driver’s license is another way that people who do not conform to society’s expectations of how they should look or behave can get some relief from their daily grind.
  • Another reason why it might be necessary for someone who lives in New York City or any other area where identification documents are required by law (such as passports) is if they want access into certain places that require ID cards such as libraries or museums.”

What does the name change process look like?

The name change process is a multi-step process that involves changing your name and gender on many documents, including:

  • Your driver’s license (if you’re under 18 years old)
  • Passport
  • Medicare card (if over 65)

If you are not sure whether or not you need to make these changes, contact the State where you live.

Know more: gender reassignment guidelines

How does someone update their passport?

You can update your passport online. The process takes about four weeks, but if you want to expedite it, there are fees attached.

To update your name on a passport:

  • Go to the Department of State website and log in to “Change Your Address.”
  • Select “Change My Name” from the drop-down menu on the right side of your screen.
  • Follow prompts until you’re given an option to select whether or not you would like to change both sides of your document (if so), or only one side (if so).

What about other documents, such as driver’s licenses and birth certificates?

If you’re a U.S. citizen, your passport is the most important document that you’ll need to change your gender marker on all of your identification documents. It’s required if you’re applying in person at a federal office or agency; if applying by mail, it must be mailed within 90 days of requesting an appointment (mailing time can vary depending on where you live).

If you’re not a U.S. citizen, but still have an expired green card or expired visa that allows permanent residency status in the United States (such as H1-B visas), don’t worry: these documents are not considered valid proof of gender transition when visiting federal offices or agencies because they do not contain any information about whether someone applied for legal change of name/gender marker after being granted permanent residency status through those channels (and thus won’t show up in records). However, many people who aren’t citizens still choose to apply forIDs with non-UPC numbers since they want them anyway–so make sure that whichever type(s) happens first ends up working out well enough before doing anything else!

Should I meet with a lawyer before starting my gender marker change process?

A lawyer can help protect your rights and make sure that the process goes smoothly. But they’re not always necessary—and it’s important to know what they won’t do for you before hiring one.

If you’re seeking a gender change on your driver’s license or passport, a lawyer is recommended because of the information they need from you (such as proof of surgery). If not, there are some things that can be done without hiring an attorney:

  • At birth certificates, courts require parents’ signatures when changing genders on birth certificates; however, if there is no parent present at a minor’s court hearing regarding their name change then any adult who lives with them may sign in lieu of both parents signing jointly.[1] This makes sense because although it may feel like “the family” has agreed upon this decision together as one unit–it doesn’t necessarily mean that all members agree 100% on everything! So having only one parent/guardian/relative make these changes could leave too much power over someone else’s life unchecked by law.[2]

There are many documents that need to be updated once your name is changed

Once your name is changed, there are many documents that need to be updated.

There are two types of documents: those that require a lawyer and those that can be updated online. The majority of these changes can be made by yourself or a relative who knows how to fill out paperwork correctly. However, some documents may require legal assistance from an attorney depending on what state you live in and what kind of gender change procedure applies in your situation. Some states allow for same-sex marriages without needing court approval; others only allow marriage between one man and one woman; still others don’t recognize any type of gender change process at all (including those who have undergone surgery).


We hope this guide helps you get started with the gender change process. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out and we’ll help you figure it out!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *