Are you planning to export food products from India to the USA? That’s great! I’m excited for you.
India’s economy is one of the largest in the world, so it is no surprise that Indians from all over the country are exporting food to the US. India’s Foreign Trade Policy (FTP) requires importer-exporters to acquire an IEC (Importer-Exporter Code) before commencing operations.
Additionally, all facilities that pack, process, manufacture, or store foods to be consumed in the United States have to register with the USFDA (US Food & Drug Administration). Facilities that are located outside the US must also obtain a USFDA registration through a registered agent and abide by USFDA guidelines at all times.
Procedure to Be Followed While Undergoing the IEC Online Application Process
An IEC is a 10-digit number awarded by the DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade) to any Indian business entity that seeks to do internatIndia’s foreign trade policy (FTP) requires exporters to obtain an import-export license with a valid IEC (Importer-Exporter Code) before starting their business.wed for IEC application in India.
- Step 1: Visit the online portal of DGFT. Click on the ‘Apply for IEC’ tab
- Step 2: Your details (name, mobile number, email ID, etc) will be required for the IEC online application form. Then, an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in the space provided and click the Submit button
- Step 3: You will be prompted to provide details about your business, including its establishment date, PAN, bank account number, etc. After filling up the details, click on ‘Submit’ to proceed
- Step 4: In the next step, you will need to pay the requisite IEC application fee. You can make the payment through an electronic fund transfer.
- Step 5: It is necessary to upload all required documents after the fee is paid.
- Step 6: In the next step, you will be asked to submit the IEC online application form. Upon submission, you will be given an Ecom reference number. Make a note of this reference number.
- Step 7: Take a print of the completed IEC application form. The DGFT office having jurisdiction over your area will need a copy of this form.
- Step 8: IECs will be issued within 3 to 7 days of your credentials being verified.
How to Obtain a USFDA Registration Certificate
Step 1: Appoint a USFDA agent
A USFDA agent must be appointed before registering a food facility. Agents like these help FDA communicate with foreign establishments like yours. The agent will also assist the FDA with scheduling inspections and respond to all communications from the FDA on your behalf. To this end, you need to notify all information regarding your agent electronically via FURLS (FDA Unified Registration & Listing System).
Step 2: Submit the USFDA registration application form
All foreign and domestic food businesses must submit a registration application on the online portal of the FDA unified registration and listing system.
Step 3: Issue of a registration number by the FDA
Upon completing the registration process successfully, the FDA will issue you a registration number.
Step 4: Issue of USFDA registration certificate
You will receive the registration certificate through your agent.
Does a USFDA Registration Need to Be Renewed?
The FDA certificate renewal became mandatory in 2011 in order to comply with USFDA guidelines. FDA registration is required for all facilities that pack, process, manufacture, or store food, beverages, and nutraceuticals consumed in the United States. FDA agents can assist with renewals.
If your registration is notHow Can I Export Food Products to The USA From India renewed by the 31st of December of every two years, the USFDA will cancel your registration. The US will halt all food exports after the renewal deadline expires. Until the food facility registration is renewed or a new 11-digit USFDA registration number is obtained, such products will not be released to the owner, consignee, or importer.
It is evident that exporting food products to the US requires multiple levels of licensing and registration. Those wishing to import food into America must also adhere to stringent compliance guidelines. Besides FDA registration, Vakilsearch can also help you with IEC registration. Additionally, we can always comply with FDA guidelines.
By partnering with Vakilsearch, you can effectively put an end to all import and export problems. You can get a US FDA registration and import-export license in just a few days when you contact our team!